Questions to consider:
What is the internet?
What is the world wide web?
What is a browser?
What is a search engine?
How do search engines search the web?
Questions to consider after watching "Databases" videos:
- What’s the message here--what does this suggest databases are useful for?
- What is the difference between a database and the world wide web?
- When would you use a database and when would use the world wide web?
Think about these questions before you choose your search tool.
1. Is the open web the right tool?
2. What type of source is likely to contain the information I need?
3. Where am I likely to find this information?
4. What terms are likely to appear on the page I am looking for?
KEY POINT TO NOTE:
when using a search engine you are only accessing the sites that the search engine has indexed. If a site is not indexed it is inaccessable to you.
- IN OTHER WORDS, not everything that exists on the web is searchable and retrievable using Google or other search engines.